Turmeric Roasted Delicata Squash Salad
There’s nothing quite like a good salad. Peak salad season may be from the first hint of warm weather to the very last day of summer, winter salads don’t get enough credit. While people often gravitate towards warm foods like soup when the temperature drops, there’s plenty of delicious salad recipes out there that hit the spot on a winter’s day.
This Turmeric Roasted Delicata Squash is a tasty example of the perfect winter’s salad! Of course the star of the dish is the turmeric spiced delicata squash. Delicata squash is a variety of winter squash and is known for its beautiful rind. Unlike others in the squash family, its thin rind is edible! The flavor is sweet and when cooked with rich turmeric, the result is heavenly.
Ingredients You'll Need
Thanks to the deep flavors of the turmeric roasted squash, not much is needed for this salad!
- Delicata Squash: This beautiful squash hits its peak around November or December. Not only is it easy to find at most grocery stores, but preparing it is a breeze! No need to peel the skin when you can eat it.
- La Selva Turmeric Powder: All you need to spice up this dish is a bit of turmeric! Turmeric curcumin not only has countless health benefits but provides a sea of rich flavors in just a pinch. Turmeric is most recognizable for its signature golden color and earthy tones.
- Arugula: This peppery greens are the perfect compliment to the sweet veggies and earthy spices.
- Pomegranate Seeds: These bright seeds add a touch of crunch to our salad.
- Pepita Seeds: Often confused with pumpkin seeds, pepita seeds are harvested from specific hull-less pumpkin varieties. These green seeds have a light, nutty flavor and are a great source of nutrients.
- Goat Cheese: The sweet tang of this creamy goat cheese is the perfect way to finish our winter salad!
While those are the base ingredients for our salad, we’ll also be making our own dressing. This maple vinaigrette can be made with everyday pantry items and tastes amazing! All you’ll need is olive oil, balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, dijon mustard, and a touch of turmeric.
A Tip Before We Dive In...
- Pomegranates have a knack for leaving even the most experienced chef’s hands pink after peeling. The best way to peel a pomegranate is to make a thin slice at the bottom of the fruit, then remove the top. Then, make vertical cuts on the outside of the pomegranate before prying it open. To extract the seeds, pull away from the peel and membranes. Finally, wash the seeds and enjoy!
Trust us when we say that one bite of this salad will have you hooked. The rich flavors of the turmeric ground the sweetness of the squash. Combined with the crunch of the pomegranate seeds and pepitas, this is one irresistible recipe.
While it’s great by itself, you can also add roasted chicken or serve it alongside a main course!
Turmeric Roasted Delicata Squash Salad
1 medium delicata squash
1 tablespoon of olive oil
2 teaspoons of turmeric powder
6 cups of arugula, washed
1 cup of pomegranate seeds
⅓ cup of pepita seeds, toasted
½ cup of goat cheese, crumbled
3 tablespoons of olive oil
1 ½ tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons of maple syrup
1 teaspoon of dijon mustard
½ teaspoon of turmeric powder
For the salad
For the vinaigrette
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment
Wash and slice the ends of the squash
Next, cut lengthwise to open the squash
Remove the seeds, then cut into ½” pieces
Season with olive oil and turmeric powder
Roast the squash for 35 minutes, flipping halfway
While the squash is cooling, add the the arugula to a large bowl
Add the pomegranate seeds, pepita seeds, and goat cheese
Then, add the turmeric roasted delicata squash
Finally, mix the ingredients for the vinaigrette together in a small bowl before pouring the desired amount over the salad
Toss to evenly distribute the vinaigrette, then enjoy!